Friday, May 21, 2010

What a night! Taste of Glen Ellyn

Wow I had so much fun connecting with the people of my town as they all gathered around at the Taste of Glen Ellyn. I always love seeing the familiar faces of the Chamber of Commerce. Big thanks to the owner of Doggonits and his beautiful wife Miss South Wales of 1954 for giving me a Taste of Glen Ellyn T-shirt. Tonight I actually ran out of autograph cards. I was bombarded by so many teens, preteens, and children. I loved it! Some of them would just look up at me with curiosity and I would have to stoop down to their level to open them up and explain who I am. Just because you have crown doesn't mean people will just flock to you. You have to connect with them on a personal level. Each of them were sooo excited to read the personalized messages I wrote on their autographed cards.  One asked for a "special" message. I explained to him that every message I write is special just like each and every single one of them truly is unique. I am a woman of intuition which is what I rely on when I write to each one :) Below are some images.

I was referred to tonight as the "pretty lady" the "nice lady" and the "beautiful girls" signing autograph cards. YES girls as in plural. LOL. I had two different cards so the boys and girls who didn't meet me yet thought there were two of us... or me lol. I think my favorite was the little old man that actually came back to get his picture with me :) I have to MAIL him a copy ;) HOW CUTE!! Below is a picture of us!

Before the massive autograph signings I made my way around the different booths learning about businesses and even connecting with individuals on a personal level. The lady from the Chicago Tribune really touched my heart as we discussed my platform on a personal level. She is an inspiration. See images below!

I learn just as much from others as they do from me. I bought my boyfriend some Happy Feet because he works so hard and drove 5 hours today to take pictures of me at the event.... he is sooo sick. Of course I had to try on the happy feet first LOL but I bought them for him not me :)

I also had the fun of breaking some sterotypical ideas of what beauty queens are. Luckily there were only 2 women that gave me "smart" remarks. I expelled their preconcieved notions, not with flattery, rather, by showing them who I really am and what I am about: a woman with a mission. Not a bubble head, not a "beauty" queen, rather a woman that gets things done, manages a team of over 65 individuals, and a president of a non profit organization. I am always kind in my pursuit of standing up for us pageant girls but I am also real. :) After speaking with the booth attendees I started saying hellos and signing autograph cards. What I have noticed as a title holder is you have to really be daring and bold. Yes the crown will cause looks of curiousity. However the single most important thing is the actual connection. I walked around and stopped crowds of teens and children and was able to open them up. Of course I told them to add me on facebook and I was so delighted when I had 5 facebook requests the moment of left the taste tonight :) One of the other cutest hightlights of the night was when the 14 year old girls asked me to show them my walk. Image below.

So I did.... and then I told them they had to in return. After some confidence boosting and laughs they were struting the runway... or the pavement LOL... HOW FUN! Connecting with teens is so important. This is when they need us most. I have tons of pictures from the last two days. Today was the Taste of Glen Ellyn and an appearance at Whistles and Bells Snackery of Glen Ellyn. The owner is wonderful and put my picture in her window right away which I thought was nice. Images below inside the snackery & with the wonderful owner. There is also an image of me signing autograph cards while inside her store.

Yesterday I met with Miss America 2010 Caressa Cameron. She is so beautiful in person. My hairstylist, Theresa Robles, was with me and we had a blast. I ran into some of the girls I competed with last year when I was Miss Northern Suburbs 2010. It was great seeing so many familiar faces. They couldn't get over my new pics and my new do. I had to do something different this year. I had to be different. :) I also attended the taste of Glen Ellyn yesterday. This week has been a whirlwind for me. So much good news has been headed my way. It became official that I get to give a speech at the Winthrop Harbor pageant tomorrow......... ANOTHER EARLY MORNING!!!

I will post pictures soon. Thanks for reading!

Love you all,

Sherrie Gearheart

No comments:

Post a Comment